We are strong believers in the healing power of plants and are proud to be a part of the American Horticultural Therapy Association.
7 TIPS TO CREATE YOUR OWN HEALING GARDEN
Therapy gardens have specific requirements, but their general principles can serve as inspiration for a healing garden of your own. Consider some of these ideas to create your personal escape.
1. Create a space for comfortable seating, a quiet place to sit and contemplate.
2. Make sure shade is available by adding screens, trellises or large plants.
3. Create a water feature. Still, water provides a setting for meditation, while the sound and sight of moving water can be restorative.
4. Add a splash of color to your garden, which will provide a visual stimulus. Warm colors enliven the emotions and promote activity, while cool colors tend to be soothing.
5. Engage your sense of smell by adding fragrant plants alongside garden seating and paths.
6. Add texture to your garden by choosing plants that are durable enough to withstand frequent brushing or handling.
7. Sound expands the garden experience. Cultivate plants that rustle in even a light breeze.